Subject: Help for Hossam
From: Tarek Abdel Ghaffar Helmy <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list MEDNETS <[email-masked]> APPEAL TO ALL NEUROSCIENTISTS & NEUROSERGEONS _____________________________________________ Can you help in this problem ? I have a Lebanese relative , his name is "Hossam". He is now 20 years

old . He is almost blind and completely crippled although he was following
continued physical therapy for 10 years .
       In 1983 he was examined at U.S.A. , and he had the following reports:
 
       "Hossam , on examination , had a head circumference of 52 cm., height
128 cm. and weight 23.8 kilos. His general examination was unremarkable .
On his neurological examination , he had nystagmus with full eye movements.
His pupils were equal and reacted to light . The tone in his upper extremities
was normal , however , he had a significant intention tremor on finger to
finger and finger to nose testing . He had increased reflexes in his upper
extremities and more so in his lower extremities . He had bilateral ankle
clonus and bilateral Babinski signs . He had suggestion of Hoffman sings
bilateraly . The dorsiflexors of the feet were weak compared to the plantar
flexors . His gait was characterized by lordosis, wide based with his feet
everted . His feet were also flat , and he had a slight waddle to his gait .
He was able to stand on his toes but needed his hands to assist in balancing
himself. He was able to squat but needed to place his hands on the floor for
balance . He was barely able to stand on his heels .
        The child appears to have low vision on a congenital basis, most
likely related to genetic causes. It is unclear if Hossam , 10 years old,
motor deficits have been contributed to by prenatal hypoxia . "
 
        "Hossam has significant motor problems and has abnormality with his
gait. He was born by emergency C. section because of decelleration of fatal
heart tones attributed to the cord being wrapped around his neck. He required
some oxygen at birth but did well after that . Cromosomes, amino acids and
other blood tests were done and were thought to be normal . He intellect is
thought to be good and he seems to improve with physical therapy . His gait
is somewhat unsteady . He has a foot drop , and has some difficulty using
his upper extremities also. His general health has been good and he has had
no regression of previously acquired skills .
        The parents are related. There is some question that the father's
parents were related. However, the parenal great grand parents are unrelated."
 
        "My recommendations were for continued physical therapy for Hossam."
 
        In these 10 years , to the best of your knowledge , hasn't been there
advents of new efficient treament by medicine or surgery to such cases ?
 
        Any information about Hospitals, Doctors (name, address,
and/or e-mails) and new therapies would be highly appreciated .
 
        Thank you in advance for your kind and prompt cooperation ,

//////////////////////////////////
Ahmed A-G Hlemy