Subject: Re: giftedness
From: [email-masked](Richard C. Adams)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>

Karelle, you might be interested in this list I use with parents                
interested in my TAG program.  Although I know this conference frowns           
on lengthy quoted materials, this one is fairly short.                          

                                                                                
              Bright Child vs Gifted Learner                                    

                                                                                
Knows the answers.        Asks the questions                                    

Is interested             Is highly curious.    
Is attentive.             Is mentally and physically involved.                  
                                                                                
Has good ideas.           Has wild, silly ideas.
                                                                                
Works hard.               Plays around, yet tests well.                         
                                                                                
Answers the questions.    Discusses in detail, elaborates.                      
                                                                                
Top group.                Beyond the group.
                                                                                
Listens with interest.    Shows strong feelings and opinions.                   
                                                                                
Learns with ease.         Already knows.
                                                                                
6-8 repetitions for.      1-2 repetitions for mastery.                          
  mastery       
                                                                                
Understands ideas.        Constructs abstractions. 

Enjoys peers.             Prefers adults.                                       
                                                                                
Grasps the meaning.       Draws inferences.     
                                                                                
Completes assignments.    Initiates projects.                                   
                                                                                
Is receptive.             Is intense.                                           
                                                                                
Copies accurately.        Creates a new design.
                                                                                
Enjoys school.            Enjoys learning.                                      
                                                                                
Absorbs information.      Manipulates information.
                                                                                
Technician.               Inventor.                                             
                                                                                
Good memorizer.           Good guesser.                                         
                                                                                
Enjoys straightforward,   Thrives on complexity.

  sequential presentation                                                       
                                                                                
Is alert.                 Is keenly observant.  
                                                                                
Is pleased with own       Is highly self-critical                               
  learning                                                                      
                                                                                
         by Janice Szabo from "Challenge," 1989, Good Apple, Inc.               

                                                                                
I have another list of similar length about the characteristics of              
gifted students versus the concommittant problems that I give to                
teachers who accuse me of getting all the "good" kids.                          
                                                                                
Richard Adams                                                                   
Pleasant Hill, Oregon      
---